Your child will beat the flu this monsoon, with this one easy recipe!
It’s not only easy to make, less time consuming but also a huge immune booster!
Even before the seasons actually end up changing, we get to see their prelude on television. Summer starts with prickly heat powders on TV along with glucose drinks. But monsoon is one season, when the common cold and flu beats the TV ads and spreads faster amongst kids!
Monsoon in India is all about garam chai, bhajjiya and commonly spread viruses. The more the weather gets cosy, apart from traffic and delays while commuting, the common cold gives you another reason to stay indoors.
Why house arrest yourself and your kids in the name of monsoons? The simple solution to enjoying this beautiful weather without falling sick is prevention and boosting your immunity with a few recipes.
There are two main sources of catching a common cold, one is spread through infected air/touch, and the other is staying wet for a long time or exposed to direct rains. Follow these 9 easy precautions to stay healthy.
- Always keep a spare set of clothes and a small towel to wipe dry.
- Carry soap sheets and tissues and wash your child's hands before eating anything.
- Carry a handkerchief to cover mouth when people around are sick.
- Always carry an umbrella whether it is raining or not.
- Make your child drink warm water to soothe the tonsils.Gargle regularly with salt water.
- Keep a blanket around while sleeping, to cover the child when the temperature suddenly drops during the night.
- Avoid sending your child to school, if many have fallen sick or showing early signs of common cold to rectify at the nascent stage.
- Eat and sleep well for a stronger immunity.
- Wash the green leafy vegetables in warm salt water for any bugs.
Your child may get cranky and irritable in this weather sometimes due to the dampness and a bowl of comforting immunity boosting scrumptious meal is the best thing that you could possibly offer!
Here is one sure shot recipe that your LO will love, and so will your entire family! It’s not only easy to make, less time consuming but also a huge immune booster!
Wheat Pesto Quesadillas
These quesadillas are not only unique, but they also have all the nutrients to boost your child’s immunity, and the best part is that they wouldn’t even come to know that they are eating healthy food!
Servings for 3 people
For the Pesto Sauce:
- Sprouted Green Moong (1 cup)
- Basil Leaves (1 small bunch)
- Walnut (10)
- Pine nut (10)
- Almond (10)
- Cashew nut (10)
- Peeled garlic cloves (3-4)
- Olive oil
- Tahini paste
- Chilli flakes (as per taste)
- Sea Salt (as per taste)
- Chopped capsicum (2-3)
- Chopped onion (2-3)
- Cubed tomato (2-3)
- Grated cheese (1 cup)
- Oregano seasoning (as per taste)
- Crushed black pepper (as per taste)
- Peanut butter (3 tsp)
- Honey (2 tsp)
- Apple cider vinegar (2 tsp)
- Sesame seeds (1 tsp)
- Grated ginger (half tsp)
Rotis made out of wheat, bigger in size than usual. 2 rotis are needed to make one quesadilla.
- Prepare the Pesto sauce first by mixer grinding all the ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dip and keep it on the side.
- Place one roti at the bottom, spread the pesto sauce, top it with the chopped ingredients for the filling, cover it with seasoning and grated cheese.
- Place another roti on the top and place it on the pan with olive oil.
- Cover the pan and let it cook in low flame till the cheese melts
- Turn carefully and cook the other side till crispy
- Take it off flame and cut it with a pizza slicer and serve hot with the dip!
Nuts will give your child instant energy and unsaturated fats, while the combination of honey, ginger, basil, pepper boosts the immunity system.
Cheese is not only a taste-enhancer for kids but also a good source of calcium. Prepare this dish and wave goodbye to your kid’s unwillingness to eat. Serve with a glass of freshly prepared citrus juice to top up the immunity boosting meal.
Please leave your comments in the box below. Check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful parenting tips. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com!