Woman tried to conceive a boy by eating this food, but instead this is what happened
Concerned about her wife’s condition, Mrs. Liu’s husband took her to the hospital where she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism
Since China has allowed couples to have a second child in the family, Mrs. Liu wanted to have a boy to carry the family name (she already has a daughter). So in order to do that she ate nothing but kelp (a type of seaweed) for two weeks.
According to a Mashable story, “The woman…had read off an Internet forum that a diet consisting of alkalescent food such as kelp and marine algae, one month before conception will guarantee a male fetus.”
But soon she started feeling unwell, experiencing palpitations and excessive sweating.
Concerned about her wife’s condition, Mrs. Liu’s husband took her to the hospital where she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is notorious for lowering a woman’s chances of getting pregnant.
Thankfully, the doctors were able to diagnose Mrs. Liu early, preventing any negative long-term effects to her health.
What to eat to improve changes of getting pregnant
- Folic acid: "If you plan on getting pregnant any time in the next year you want to make sure your diet is rich in folic acid and that you're proactive about that now," said Erin Palinski-Wade in a Fit Pregnancy story.
- High-quality protein: "High quality proteins in your diet are important for fertility. Make sure you're getting a complete protein that has all the essential amino acids," she said. "Whole eggs and egg whites are excellent sources, as are white meat poultry, and fish, especially those rich in omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon."
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: "When you get pregnant, omega-3s are great for the baby's brain development, but they're excellent to have in your diet now because your body needs the healthy fats to keep hormones functioning properly—so you can get pregnant in the coming months."
- Low-fat or Full-Fat Dairy: According to the Fit Pregancy article, dairy products are essentials for preparing your body for pregnancy because you're getting calcium and protein.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Not only are they naturally good for you, but they provide all the nutrients your body needs.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com