Unbelievable! 15 pound tumor removed from woman's kidney
She initially thought that it was just a gastric issue, she was surprised to know that she already had a 15 pound tumor inside her!
An Indian woman was found to have a 15 pound tumor on her kidney, right after she complained that she had been gaining weight.
The 35-year-old woman from Delhi, India, had been complaining that she had been gaining weight. She underwent scans and tests, and that's when doctors found out that she had a benign tumor growing on her kidney.
While the tumor itself was benign, and posed no cancer risk, it was preventing her kidney from working at it's full capacity, and it could have lead to kidney failure.
The surgeons wanted to remove the kidney outright, but they instead tried to save some part of the kidney.
The operation took six hours, and in addition to the 15 pound tumor, the surgeons also removed 3 additional tumors to prevent them from growing in the future.
Dr. Hardev Singh Bhatyal, her surgeon, shared, "A tumour of this size needed to be removed. Doctors usually remove the kidney along with the tumour in the majority of these cases as it is difficult to preserve a kidney."
"But we were confident we could save the blood vessel that supplies the lower part of the kidney. The tumour was a threat to life of the patient due to its sheer size and location."
"Even a trivial injury to abdomen might have led to heavy internal bleeding and possibly it could have been fatal for the patient."
The woman initially thought that her weight gain was due to a gastric issue. Once her doctors did some tests, they found out that a tumor was growing on her kidney for the past 2 years. They managed to save half of her right kidney.
Go to the next page to learn about tumor prevention.
While it's true that there's no 100% confirmed way of preventing tumors from developing in our bodies, we can however keep ourselves healthy so we can reduce the chances of tumor growth, whether it's benign or not.
Follow these tips to keep yourself healthy!
- Quit smoking! Smoking has a lot of negative effects, and has been proven to cause cancer. It's not easy, but if you're a smoker, it would be best if you quit.
- You are what you eat. If you eat a lot of junk food or processed food, it's going to have a negative effect on your health. Some processed foods can also cause cancer. That's why you have to eat fresh, and healthy food as much as possible!
- Move around; keep yourself active. Keep yourself active through exercise and various outdoor activities. It keeps you fit, strong, and healthy.
- Get regular check-ups. Sometimes, even the healthiest people can have tumors, either benign or malignant. It's important to make sure that you get a full physical check-up at least once a year so that you can monitor your health better.
- Wear sunblock. Wearing sunblock is a simple yet very effective way of preventing yourself from getting tumors or cancer. Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer, and using sunblock is an easy way of making sure that you're protected.
Please leave your comments in the box below. Check out theAsianparent Community for more insightful parenting tips. Don’t forget to take our readership survey to help us serve you better. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com!