Delicious dieting: Summer fruits that can help you lose postpartum weight quickly!
Dietician Sheela Seharawat’s recommendation on summer fruits, which work like a charm for weight loss.
The sun is out, the AC’s are blaring and seems like the long summer days are meant to be spent indoors idling in front of TV. For those who may be planning to shed those extra post baby kilos, summers may seem to be particularly cruel time to sweat those extra layers of adipose out. However, nature has its unique way of counterbalancing everything.
The summer months are full of such bounties that munching on these seasonal fruits can actually help you lose out that excess weight. Yes, you heard it right, this summer you can fill your bowl with these nutritionist recommended seasonal treats and watch those extra tiers go.
Today, dietitian Sheela Sherawat, who runs Diet Clinic, a chain of 24 fitness and wellness centers across North India, talks to theindusparent about how to gain back that shape while all you need to do is indulge.
Seharawat says, “Several types of research have proved that fruits have properties that make them weight loss friendly. Although they have sugar they also have fibers that prevent the sugar from being released too quickly into the bloodstream so it is best for weight loss. Also, fruits contain a lot of water with some having nearly 90% of water so adding these fruits in your daily diet plan can help you get in shape quick.”
She adds, “A study in Tokyo says that a woman who ate high water content foods has smaller waistline and lower BMI. Researchers say that water in these fruit makes you feel full and you eat less and further it gives all vital nutrients to your body.”
Dietician Sheela Seharawat’s recommendation on summer fruits, which work like a charm for weight loss:
1. Grapefruit: It is a fruit that has been used as a very old weight loss technique with some studies dating its weight loss properties being popular as back as 1930s. This citrus fruit is loaded with Vitamin C, folic acid, and potassium. It has a soluble fiber named pectin that helps against atherosclerosis.
Normally it is pink from inside but its red varieties also have vitamin A and lycopene that protects arterial walls from oxidative damage. Further, it contains certain enzymes that, when eaten before other foods, help burn off fat in the body. This diet has several variations and limitation and it helps in losing 10 pounds within 10-12 days.
2. Cucumber: Don’t we love those crispy cucumbers during hot days? It has low calories and is a very low energy density food. With a high concentration of water (about96.7%) it means its made up mostly of water.
A must summer salad staple; a cup of sliced cucumber has just 14 calories. It is loaded with vitamin C and K, which are very helpful in weight loss.
3. Watermelon: An amazing fruit that detoxes your body and aids in weight loss. It has 92% water and the other 8% is loaded with health benefits. It is a good source of vitamin C besides being rich in antioxidants, which protects heart from diseases and certain types of cancer.
One-cup serving of watermelon is only 47 calories. It’s a great idea to replace your one meal with a giant bowl of watermelon to lose weight.
4. Strawberry: These lovely looking berries stimulate your metabolism and help suppress your appetite. It also helps in controlling blood sugar and helps in weight loss. A cup of strawberries has only 49 calories however it is loaded with vitamin C, fiber, calcium, magnesium and potassium.
It is a good source of Phenolic antioxidant that helps in weight loss. It promotes weight-reducing hormones in the body. Another reason to reach out for those berries at the supermarket.
5. Blueberries: An extremely nutritional fruit loaded with vitamin C, potassium and powerful antioxidants, which are compounds that neutralize free radicals. It has no fat, cholesterol or sodium. A cup of blueberries has only 40 calories so it is good for weight loss program.
You can try to mix red raspberries, strawberries, blueberries juices in one cup and can drink it regularly for 8 weeks that increases the level of good HDL cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and keeps heart healthy. It has fibers that aid digestion.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com