Shocking! 7-year-old dies of dengue, Fortis charges the family 16 lakh for two-week treatment!
The child's father had to take a loan to repay the massive bills charged by Fortis to save his daughter, Adya.
In the most shocking news story of the day, Gurgaon’s Fortis hospital charged the family of a seven-year-old girl rupees 16 lakh for her dengue treatment.
However, what is unfortunate that despite paying the money, the girl succumbed to her illness and passed away.
The deceased girl’s father alleged that the hospital kept them in the dark and charged them every penny for using around 1600 gloves and 660 syringes. The poor father had to take a loan to repay the bills to save his daughter, Adya.
“The government must act against them so that no hospital deals with its patients like this again.They have charged for 1,600 gloves, 660 syringes, high-end antibiotics and sugar strips which I am not sure were even used,” Jayant Singh, an IT professional based in Dwarka told the Times of India.
The child was admitted to Fortis Gurgaon on August 31 after the doctors at Rockland hospital Gurgaon, where the girl was taken for initial treatment, suggested them to take her to a bigger hospital for better treatment.
She was then admitted to Fortis on August 31. After an initial treatment of intravenous fluids, Adya was put on mechanical ventilation and intubated as the platelet count was deteriorating. She was on life support for 10 days and that’s when the parents were asked to pay exorbitant amounts of money.
“On September 14, when an MRI was finally conducted and it revealed extensive damage to the brain, the doctors gave up. We decided to then take her to another hospital but doctors refused to even facilitate an ambulance,” the family said.
Poor Adya took her last breath while being transferred from Fortis hospital to Rockland hospital.
The matter came to light when a friend of the family tweeted their plight to health minister Jagat Prakash Nagda, who promised to take the matter into his own hands and take necessary action.
— Jagat Prakash Nadda (@JPNadda) November 20, 2017
The hospital issued a statement and said that Adya was suffering from Dengue Shock Syndrome that ultimately cost her her life.
“We empathise with Baby Adya’s family in this difficult hour of sorrow and grief. Seven-year-old Baby Adya was brought in to Fortis Memorial Research Institute (Gurgaon), from another private hospital on the morning of 31st August, 2017. She was admitted with Severe Dengue which progressed to Dengue shock syndrome and was managed on IV fluids and supportive treatment as there was a progressive fall in platelet count and hemoconcentration. As her condition deteriorated, she had to be put on ventilatory support within 48 hours. The family was kept informed of the critical condition of the child and the poor prognosis in these situations. As a process, we counselled the family daily on the condition of the child. On 14th September 2017, family decided to take her away from the hospital against medical advice (LAMA – Leave Against Medical Advice) and she succumbed the same day,” said the statement.
We hope that Adya’s family gets justice and pray for them to be strong is such difficult times.
[Image courtesy: YouTube]