Safe homeopathic medicine for teething babies
Homeopathic medicines are considered safe, non-toxic, effective and fast acting. Try remedies from homeopathy for baby teething symptoms and breathe easy as your little one flashes her first pearly whites!
Teething can be a miserable time for some babies and toddlers. Sore gums, drooling, irritability and -ouch! – constant biting are some teething symptoms that babies exhibit. Some children also experience loss of appetite and sleepless nights during teething periods. No wonder it can be a nightmarish experience for parents.
Most babies cut their first teeth between the age of four and eight months. Some don’t sprout those pearly whites well until the age of one. Usually by the age of three, children get their full set of 20 milk teeth.
A lot of parents swear that teething causes fever or diarrhea in infants. While loose stools during teething may be due to the presence of mucous caused by drooling, high temperatures and severe diarrhea are usually caused by problems other than teething. If your baby’s symptoms are alarming, it’s important to get them checked by a pediatrician to rule out other causes.
The dreaded teething phase may seem never ending, but there are methods to help little babies cope with the pain and discomfort caused by the emergence of new teeth. Homeopathy for baby teething is considered to be safe, yet highly effective in combating dentition symptoms.Homeopathic medicine for teething: How it helps
Homeopathy believes in activating the body’s own ability to heal itself from within. It works on the principle of similars, which implies that when administered in small amounts, a substance which causes symptoms similar to that of a disease induces a cure for that disease from within the body.
Homeopathy also stands by the principle of uniqueness, wherein it believes that even for the same disease, every individual displays a unique set of symptoms and, therefore, requires an approach tailored for him/her.
Medicines in homeopathy are made by the principle of “potenization,” which involves extracting a tincture of a plant or mineral and diluting it multiple times.
Instead of using strong doses of a medicine, very minuscule amounts are administered to initiate the healing process. Hence, it is safe and non-toxic, having almost nil side effects.
Hence, using homeopathy for baby teething may be an ideal treatment option, egging on the baby’s rapidly growing systems to fight the pain and discomfort from within. Moreover, the pills and liquid medicines rapidly dissolve on the baby’s tongue and are fast acting.
Click “Continue Reading” to find out which remedies are effective to combat baby teething troubles.Homeopathic medicine for teething babies
The following homeopathic medicines may be used for a particular set of symptoms a child exhibits during the teething phase. If you are unable to pinpoint or group the symptoms, we suggest you go to a certified homeopathic practitioner, who can help provide the ideal treatment.
Chamomilla vulgaris (Chamomile)
This is the most common remedy for teething. This remedy may be helpful if:
- your baby is very irritable, throws temper tantrums and screams with pain;
- he wants to be held all the time and cries when kept down; or
- he cannot keep his fingers away from his mouth and his gums look inflamed.
This remedy may be considered if:
- your baby’s gums are noticeably red, swollen, and throbbing;
- his face has a flushed look and eyes may appear glassy; or
- heat dissipates from his body.
Calcarea carbonica (Calcium Carbonate)
This remedy may be useful for late bloomers (teething after the age of one) and for babies with a large head and a lot of baby fat. Use it if your baby has:
- profuse sweating, especially on the head and neck;
- the tendency to grind teeth at night;
- sour smelling sweat, stool and vomit; or
- the tendency for frequent colds and infections which worsen from cold damp weather.
Calcarea phosphorica (Calcium Phosphate)
This remedy is indicated when:
- your baby is irritable, worried and discontented;
- he wants to nurse often but is frequently gassy or colicky;
- cold drafts worsen his condition and his body type is usually pale and thin; or
- he has loose stools and flatulence when he sprouts his teeth.
Coffea tosta (Coffee)
Coffea tosta is used in homeopathy for baby teething if:
- your baby is physically or mentally hyperactive and does not sleep much;
- he is very sensitive to noise, light and odors; or
- he feels better when his cheeks are rubbed.
Kreosotum (Beechwood Kreosote)
Use this remedy if:
- your baby has extremely painful teething;
- the gums are severely inflamed and red with even bleeding. They are spongy to touch and the mouth emits a putrid odour; or
- he is agitated and has difficulty sleeping.
Magnesia phosphorica (Magnesium Phosphate)
This is an effective remedy in homeopathy for baby teething if the child experiences spasms during teething which are relieved by warm or hot drinks.
Phytolacca decandra (Pokeberry)
This remedy may be indicated if:
- your baby constantly presses his gums together very hard; or
- he tries to bite anything and everything.
Plantago major (Common Plantain)
This remedy works if:
- tooth is very sensitive to touch and the pain extends to the cheeks;
- your baby seems to pull on his ears often and drools profusely; or
- pain surges with cold air but reduces while eating
Pulsatilla nigrans (Windflower)
Windflower is another herb that is used in homeopathy for baby teething. It can be used if
- your baby baby is very tearful and wants to be constantly held and comforted; or
- biting on something cold or being out in open air may comfort him, while warmth increases discomfort.
Silicea is beneficial to infants who are:
- frail, thin, delicate and constipated often; or
- have delicate features and are slow to teethe.
Click “Continue Reading” for tips on how to administer safe doses of homeopathic medicine for teething.
Wash your hands thoroughly and crush the required dosage between two sterilized spoons or use the cap of the medicine bottle to give the dose to the baby. Refrain from touching the medicine with your hands.
An infant should not be fed 10 minutes before and after a homeopathy dose. A single dose is usually enough to alleviate teething problems. If symptoms persist, an additional dose is recommended after every 15 minutes to two hours depending on the severity of the symptoms.
The 6X, 12X or 30X (Or 6C, 12C, 30C) strengths may be used to treat teething symptoms in babies. The higher the number, the more potent the medicine is. If symptoms still persist, if you are unsure of the dosage or your baby is already undergoing homeopathy treatment, consult a registered homeopathic practitioner.
About the Author: PREETI ATHRI
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the topic, please share them in our Comment box below.