5 best Durga Puja recipes of exotic desserts you must try!
Pamper your sweet tooth with these scrumptious exotic dessert recipes for Durga Puja
No Durga Puja is complete without an array of delicious sweets that the entire family can savour. Make this year’s Puja extra special with some different desserts that will cater to your sweet tooth and gladden your hearts as well. Try these absolutely sinful recipes for Durga Puja.
Durga Puja Recipes
To add a fresh look to the Bengali classic, try this easy recipe.
- ¾ cup apples, grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons low fat milk
- a few drops of kewra essence
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon saffron strands
- 1 cup paneer, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Soak the saffron in a little water till it dissolves.
- In a pan, add lemon juice, sugar and the grated apples to one tablespoon of water and cook on a low flame for 8-9 minutes, stirring all the while. Turn off the gas and cool.
- Add the paneer, milk, essence and the cooled apple mixture to a blender and pulse.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 20 minutes and shape into round balls.
Tip: You can try making the sondesh with candied orange peels as well.
Beetel Leaf Cheesecake with Gulkand Jelly
Your after-meal Banarasi Paan can’t get more exotic than this. Try this and your friends will be hounding you for recipes for Durga Puja.
- 1¾ cup whipped cream, sweetened
- 6 teaspoons agar agar
- 1 cup paan leaves(beetel leaves) purée
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 6 teapoons dried rose petals
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese or cream cheese
- ½ cup Gulkand
- 1 cup water
- Soak the agar agar in some water till submerged and allow it to soften.
- Soak the Gulkand in ½ cup of water. Boil this mixture over medium flame. Add half the agar agar mixture to this when hot and refrigerate.
- In another vessel, boil together paan leaves puree, fennel seeds, milk and rose petals.
- Strain, allow to cool.
- Now add the cream cheese, melted agar agar and then fold in the whipped cream.
- Pour into little cake moulds and refrigerate.
- Once set, carefully remove the cheesecake from the moulds and top it with a slice of Gulkand jelly.
Tip: Enjoy this dessert cold with a bit of vanilla ice cream.
Fruit Rabri Tartlets
This is one of those recipes for Durga Puja which your kids will throughly enjoy.
- 5 cups of full cream milk
- 2 cups of dry fruits, chopped
- few strands of saffron
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1¾ cups plain white flour
- 1 cup homemade butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor.
- Pulse till the texture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add a teaspoon of milk and process till the flour comes together into a dough.
- Gently knead the dough till soft, wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate.
- Take a thick-bottomed pan. Pour in the milk and boil the milk till it reduces to ¼ of its quantity.
- Keep separating the layers of cream to the side as it boils
- Once thickened, add the sugar, dry fruits and give it a stir.
- Add the strands of saffron and turn of flame. Allow the rabri to cool.
- Roll out the dough mixture and cut them out into circles.
- Line mini tart moulds with the cut out dough.
- Weigh them down with some raw rice and bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees till golden brown.
- Once cooled, remove the raw rice out completely. Take out your tart shells from the moulds.
- Pour in chilled rabri into the tarts and garnish with chopped fruits such as grapes, pomegranates and cherries.
Tip: Top it with mini gulab jamuns for a more sinful treat.
Chocolate Paneer Jalebi
Add an elegant spin to your usual recipes for Durga Puja with this recipe.
- 2 cups homemade paneer
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 2¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Ghee or oil to fry
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- Add flour, baking powder and a tablespoon of ghee to the paneer.
- Slowly add milk and cocoa powder to the mixture and mash it till a smooth, thick paste-like consistency is achieved.
- Pour this mixture into a piping bag or an clean empty ketchup bottle.
- In a pan, add 1 cup water,sugar and boil it to make sugar syrup. Do not make the syrup too thick.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and pipe out jalebis into the hot oil. Fry over low flame.
- Dip the jalebis in sugar syrup and serve hot.
Tip: Have this jalebi with rabri or vanilla ice cream
Raw Papaya Halwa
If you thought you couldn’t do much with raw papayas, think again.
- 2 cups raw papaya, grated
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup jaggery, grated
- 1 cup dried fruits and nuts
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Heat a pan and add the grated raw papaya. Cook until it becomes soft.
- Now add the grated jaggery and stir till it melts.
- Pour in the milk and continue cooking till the milk thickens.
- Heat another pan, add the ghee to it.
- Add the dried fruits and desiccated coconut and roast till you get a pleasant aroma.
- Turn off the flame and serve with another dollop of ghee if required.
Tip: Add some water while you cook the halwa if you find the texture too thick.
Do you know more yummy Durga Puja recipes? Please share in the Comment box below.