Recipe Video: Veg mini calzones that your kids would love!
This dish, originating in Naples, is an Italian filled oven bread, shaped as a folded pizza. Children generally enjoy calzones as they taste delicious.
A calzone forms an important part of the Italian cuisine. This dish, originating in Naples, is an Italian filled oven bread, shaped as a folded pizza. Resembling a half-moon, it is made of bread dough. Children generally enjoy calzones as they taste delicious.
Here's what you need.
For making dough:
200 gm. maida (all purpose flour)
Water as required
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp butter (room temperature)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup milk
Steps for making the dough:
1. Heat water until it's lukewarm.
2. In a bowl, put some yeast, sugar, and the lukewarm water and put it aside for the yeast to activate.
3. In another bowl, put some all-purpose flour, salt, butter (room temperature) and some milk and mix all the ingredients together.
4. Once the yeast starts floating on the surface, mix it well and add a little amount of water to the flour.
5. Knead into a soft dough by mixing all the ingredients together.
6. Dust the work surface with some plain flour and knock the dough on it until the dough stops sticking to your hand.
7. Place the dough back into the bowl and wrap the bowl with a cling wrap.
8. Let the dough ferment for at least 1 hour in a warm place.
For the filling:
1 cup pizza sauce
3/4 cup cheese
1 cup veggies - finely chopped onions, green capsicum, yellow capsicum, zucchini and baby corn (as per choice)
To make the filling:
- Heat some olive oil in a pan.
- Add finely chopped onions, green capsicum, yellow capsicum, zucchini and baby corn and saute them well.
- Add pizza sauce and mix it with the veggies well.
- Let the calzone filling cool down completely.
- Once the filling cools down completely, add some mozzarella cheese and mix it well with the filling.
- Take a small part of the dough and start making mini calzones
- Sprinkle some dry flour on the work surface and roll the calzones.
- Apply a little bit of water around the rolled calzone.
- Put some filling at the centre of the roll and fold it into a semi-circle.
- Fold the edges well.
- You may use a fork to make designs at the edges and also insert the fork slightly on the calzone to let out all the steam.
- Brush the tray with a little bit of oil
- Place the calzone on the tray and brush them with oil or egg wash.
- Let the calzones rest for 10 minutes and then in a preheated oven, bake them for about 10-15 minutes.
- The delicious, mouth-watering calzones are ready to serve.
Watch the video for any further details!