Shocking! Raipur Boy swallows toothbrush that stays inside his body for a year!

lead image

A boy from Raipur swallowed a toothbrush, but surprisingly his parents did not come to know about it until six months ago when he started complaining of intolerable pain

What looks like a small, harmless morning activity, could become harmful for kids sometimes, especially if the parents don't monitor them constantly.

In a shocking piece of news, a five-year-old boy from Raipur swallowed a toothbrush, but surprisingly his parents did not come to know about it until six months ago when he started complaining of intolerable pain while urinating and swallowing food.

However, being scared of his mother he kept quiet, but when his pain became unbearable his parents took him to Raipur Medical College for treatment. On observation, the doctors at the medical centre found a 5 centimetres stone in his urinary bladder and a strange object along with it.

"The foreign object was not clear in the x-ray and ultrasound. When we pulled the stone out of the boy's bladder, a 15-cm long stick came out with the stone covered with blood. Later, we came to know that it was a toothbrush," said Dr J Patel, paediatric surgeon, Raipur medical college, who treated Keshav to a leading daily.

Needless to say, the boy's parents were shocked when they came to know that their child had swallowed a toothbrush almost a year back and did not tell them about it.

The good news is that they successfully removed the stone along with the toothbrush and repaired the damaged bladder and intestines. Dr Patel added, "It was an unusual case as generally we come across cases like swallowing of coins by children. The toothbrush pricked three holes in boy's intestine and then reached the bladder. People generally die in such cases if they are not provided treatment on time but how this little boy survived is nothing less than a miracle," he added.

Harmless things that can harm your child

While parents of toddlers are usually careful about what their kids put in their mouth while playing, the fact is even a second is enough for an accident to happen. This is why as a general practice there are many harmless things in your house that you should never let your babies even come near to. Here are four of them.

1. Coins: As mentioned by Dr Patel, coins can be extremely hazardous and should be kept away from the reach of toddlers as they can be life-threatening if swallowed.

2. Smartphones: Parents always forget that smartphones are not baby-sitters and not only impact the child's vision but the harmful radiations can be dangerous for their brain.

3. Pacifiers: While it might be easy for mothers to pop in a pacifier into their baby's mouth while they are busy with their household chores, the plastic of the pacifier can be easily chewed and swallowed by your baby and could be harmful for your child if ingested.

4. Plastic toys: Plastic toys, especially the ones with a low quality rating, can be extremely harmful for your toddler as he might chew upon it and swallow the harmful chemicals.

If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com

app info
get app banner