Pregnancy Week 17: Guide for Mothers
Your baby, who is as big as an onion, is growing harder bones from rubbery cartilages. Find out other amazing facts in our pregnancy week 17 guide
How Big is Your Baby?
Your Baby’s Development
In this week by week pregnancy guide, you'll learn that:
- Your baby's air passage is now ready to take in oxygen instead of amniotic fluid.
- His bones have started hardening--a process called ossification. His legs and inner ears will be the first to ossify.
- His nerves will now be forming myelin--a protective layer of protein and fatty substances that insulate nerves to promote quick and efficient transmission of electrical impulses--which is vital for his nervous system to function properly post birth.
- His umbilical cord is becoming stronger and thicker.
- Scans will become more exciting as your doctor will be listening for your munchkin's heartbeat.
- As your baby grows, chances are that so will you! Get ready for those extra kilos.
- This is also the time when those much dreaded stretch marks make an appearance.
- The increased blood flow in your body is accompanied by an increased discharge of bodily fluids such as vaginal discharge, sweat, and mucus.
- Time to check in with your doctor to see if all your prenatal vitamins supplements are adequately meeting your and your baby’s nutrient needs.
- If you are still wearing high heels, it is probably a good time to ditch them for low-heeled or flat footwear. This is the time that your centre of gravity has shifted courtesy of the extra weight you're carrying.
- You and your husband should decide on whether you want to know your baby's gender.
Your next week: 18 weeks pregnant
Your previous week: 16 weeks pregnant
Republished with permission from: theAsianparent