Plastic from blender almost chokes six-month-old boy to death
When she went to check the other foods she had prepared with the blender, she found that they too had shards of plastic in them
Natalie just wanted to feed her son something healthy and nutritious, but little did she know that it will end up in an incident that almost cost her her son’s life.
It started when Natalie began feeding her six-month-old son Jack his meal of pureed sweet potato. But soon the infant began retching.
Thankfully Natalie’s partner John Paul was there, and he managed to force Jack to throw up.
“He started choking visibly and was really struggling,” Natalie said to website A Spokesman Said. “It was terrifying. I felt a hard piece of material in the food he’d thrown up—it was a piece of plastic.”
As it turned out, the plastic shards came from the base of the blender she used to prepare the puree—the popular Tommee Tippee Baby Food Steamer Blender.
When she went to check the other foods she had prepared with the blender, she found that they too had shards of plastic in them.
According to Natalie, they have had the blender for only three weeks, and this was the first time it happened.
“I would never have thought this product would be unsafe,” she said, calling out Tommee Tippee to warn other parents who may have bought the same model. “You would never think to look at a child’s food before feeding them after using a machine you trust to be safe.”
“I’m very worried that this could happen to a child who might not be as lucky as Jack,” she said in an interview with The Sun.
“The machine should be pulled if there’s something wrong with it,” she added. “You would never think to look at a child’s food before feeding them after using a machine you trust to be safe.”
A Spokesman Said contacted Tommee Tippee for a response to Natalie’s concerns.
The company said that they have since launched an investigation on the matter, saying, “we’re very sorry that Natalie and her son have had this experience, and we’ve been speaking with her over the last couple of days to get more details and resolve the situation.
“Child safety is the most important part of everything we do, so we take all issues regarding the safety of our products extremely seriously.”
The company also asked Natalie to return the product so they could examine it, and also to give her a refund.
“All of our food blenders are designed and tested to ensure full compliance with all European Standards and to ensure they are safe to use,” the company said. “However, we’re very unhappy to see the issue Natalie’s had with hers, so we’re investigating it fully.”
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com