Mother shares Facebook photo asking other mums to be more careful

lead image

In a viral post on Facebook, one mother asks us all to be more careful when it comes to our children, as we never know what can happen

Molly Landis, a mother of one, shares the story of how important it is to be more careful, especially if you're with your baby.

"A guardian angel was watching over me"

In a Facebook post that Molly shared, she told the story of how her stove burner exploded and sent a fire ball to her face, neck, and chest.

She adds, "This caused open wounds and burns to my face and chest. Yes, this is horrible and painful but I haven't been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am."

"As a new mom I often wear my sweet 4 week old in my wrap carrier (we know we all love being hands free especially with a needy babe)..on this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby bc for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn't wearing her while I was in the kitchen."

"The worst of my burns is to my chest- exactly where her precious little head would have been laying if she were in her carrier. The point of my message is to pleaseeeee be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies!"

Mothers sympathised with her and wished her well

Other mothers who saw her viral post about safety sympathised with her and gave her encouraging messages:

Another mother thanked her and told her to disregard the negative comments:

All in all, the response to her Facebook post was overwhelmingly positive, with a lot of other moms wishing her and her family well, and praying for her swift recovery. Until know, the cause of the explosion hasn't been identified, but we're very thankful that in spite of her injuries, she and her child are okay and we're also hoping for her swift recovery.

See her photo and her Facebook post below:

Go to the next page to learn more about safety in the kitchen.

Safety in the kitchen

While what happened to Molly can be considered a freak accident, it's still important to keep you and your family safe at home, most especially in the kitchen.

Here are some safety tips that you should always keep in mind when you're in the kitchen:

  1. Make sure to buy a stove that has been fully tested and proven safe. There are a lot of cheap stoves or burners available, and they're usually cheap since they're not safe. Spend a little bit extra on quality products and you'll have the peace of mind that your burner is safe and tested.
  2. Never leave your cooking unattended. This is something that a lot of people are guilty of doing, especially if they're cooking something like a stew or something that can take a while. Try your best not to leave anything on the stove if you're not in the kitchen. That way, should there be a spill or a fire, you can immediately do something.
  3. Don't let young kids (especially babies) near the stove whenever you're cooking. Very young kids shouldn't be near the stove, even if you're there to supervise them since they might not be able to get away quickly should there be a fire or an explosion. Always know where your kids are.
  4. In case of a fire, never use water if it's a grease fire. If you accidentally leave the pan on for too long and start a grease fire, never use water to extinguish it. Use a fire extinguisher, or cover it with a large towel to smother the flames.
  5. Keep a small fire extinguisher handy. It's always important to always have a fire extinguisher handy, not just in the kitchen, but for your home in general. That way, should any fires happen, you're equipped to handle it as quickly as possible.
  6. Keep anything flammable away from the burners. If you're using pot holders or if you're wearing an apron, make sure to keep them away from the burners when you're cooking. Keep anything flammable far away from the burners so that you can reduce the risk of any accidental fires.

READ: Horrific! Two-year-old toddler dies after falling into a hot water bucket 


If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from