Here’s why couples in the North India and Maharashtra remain married for over 40 years
The latest census report says that only 10 percent of Indian couples are married for over 40 years. Follow these five golden rules to also keep your marriage fresh.
In a latest Census report released by the Government of India, it has been reported that most North Indian states and Maharashtra in the west have the highest number of couples married for 40 or more years.
Across the country, 10 percent of couples constitute the ‘40 plus married’ group.
The report also explains the following points:
- Couples married for over 40 years constitute only 11 to 12 percent of the total number of successfully married couples.
- The entire northeast belt has only 7 percent of such successful marriages; with only 4.1 percent of couples married for over 40 years in Meghalaya.
- In most marriages in the north, the average age is much less and so less age and longer life constitute longer marriages. In Haryana, for instance, 21 percent of men got married before the age of 21 years.
- About 31 percent of women in Haryana were married off before they hit the legal age of 18 years.
The report highlights two important aspects of a successful married life: couple’s age of marriage and how long they live.
But these are not just the only two aspects that will help you sustain a loving and successful marriage. There are many others factors that work in tandem and make an Indian marriage successful.
Continue reading to know more about how to sustain a successful marriage.
The honeymoon period in most marriages has a shelf-life and its success and longevity depends of how you keep it fresh. Here are 5 best ways to maintain a lasting married life:
- Appreciate your partner: We often forget the little things our partners do for us and take them for granted. But that’s the biggest mistake you are making. Even though that kiss is now just a peck on the cheek, remember that this ‘routine’ is an indication of something dangerous. A recent report suggests that half the men cheat due to emotional dissatisfaction. When your partner is unaware of how you feel about them, they tend to lean on to people who shower them with appreciation. So start showering them some words of appreciation on a daily basis and see how wonderfully it works.
- Be grateful and say ‘Thank you:’ Your partner does your chores at home and you think ‘He/she ought to!’ Yes, he/she may be ‘ought to’ finish those chores since you are both living under the same roof, but won’t you feel good if somebody just said ‘Thank you?’ By simply using these two words you not only express gratitude but also show your partner that you notice the things they do for you.
- Take care of your appearance: This is probably the simplest way of showing your love towards your partner. Being unkempt just because you are now married is a big turn off! I am not saying you have to look like Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif, but you can always fix yourself up and look nice for your partner more than ‘once in a while.’
- Be kind and watch your words: Sometimes we advantage of the people who most love us because we know we can get away with it. But you are not married to a punching bag, are you? Remember to think about what makes your partner happy. Also, remember to avoid using sentences that begin with “You never…” or “You always…” Think about what you say and how it can affect your partner and the marriage.
- Maintain intimacy: After several years of marriage, if you think that intimacy is off the table, think again. Intimacy is not just sex, it is also those small gestures to show you care or that you love your partner. Holding hands while going for a walk, or helping your partner when they are unwell are also a part of intimacy.
Do let us know your thoughts on this article in the Comment box below.