Marigold is the best pre-pregnancy detox food for your uterus
The purpose of pre-pregnancy detox is to cleanse the liver, colon and uterus to prepare the body for easy conception. Here's how you can ace it.
You may have heard about fertility cleansing, which is essentially a pre-pregnancy detox that prepares a woman’s body for an impending pregnancy. But did you know that it particularly revolves around cleansing the liver and colon?
It may sound like a new fad to you, but it’s a method that has been around for centuries. In fact, the Egyptians, Japanese and even Native Americans have tried their hand at it.
Detoxifying the body has been an age-old practice to clear the body of unwanted toxins and is something that would greatly benefit you if you were planning a pregnancy.
What is pre-pregnancy detox?
A fertility cleanse or a pre-pregnancy detox is a method to remove all toxins from the body and make it fertility-ready. It is best to do a fertility cleanse when you are already preparing for conception.
A fertility detox concentrates on cleansing the liver, colon and the uterus by doing the following:
- It helps the liver to remove excess hormones and toxins in the body.
- It helps the colon to remove excess hormones and fat
- It helps the uterus to cleanse stagnant blood, increase the circulation of the blood and also tones the uterine muscles.
Importance of pre-pregnancy detox
Combining good food habits with a regular exercise routine can cleanse and prepare your body for conception. Remember that over the years, your body accumulates toxins and chemicals from the following sources:
- Air, water and earth
- Natural or packaged food
- Cosmetics and other chemical materials we put on our skin
- Hormonal birth control
- Diet food
- Excess hormones
Continue reading to understand how you can clean the three individual parts of your body in preparation of conception
Pre-pregnancy detox for liver
Our liver filters and cleanses the body of harmful toxins that accumulate over the years. For instance, if you body has an abundance of oestrogen, then it is the liver’s job to flush it out of the system.
However, sometimes due to poor dietary health, the liver needs an extra push or stimulation to do its job. Using the following food items can do this task:
- Garlic: This vegetable has enzymes that flush out toxins from the body. Garlic also has high amount of natural compounds including allicin and selenium, that aids in its cleansing.
- Tumeric: This is the best spice you could feed your body if you want to cleanse the liver. It detoxifies the liver, is an instant energizer and actively flushes out dietary carcinogens.
- Green leafy vegetables: They are your best friends if you want to cleanse your body of toxins. Leafy vegetables are high in plant chlorophylls that clean environmental toxins from the blood stream.
- Lemon and limes: Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C, which synthesizes toxins into liquid that can be absorbed by the body. Drinking freshly squeezed lime juice or eating orange for breakfast can stimulate the liver.
- Green tea: This beverage is rich in catechins, which is a plant antioxidant that assists liver function. It is also known to improve the digestive abilities of the body, thereby, assisting the liver indirectly.
- Beets and carrots: Both these vegetables are rich in plant flavonoids and beta-carotene and stimulate liver function. They can also improve the overall dietary function of the blood and stimulate blood generation.
- Grapefruit: This fruit is high on vitamin C and antioxidants and increases the natural cleansing properties of the liver. Have a small glass of grapefruit during the day to boost the production of liver detoxification enzymes that flush out toxins and carcinogens.
- Avocados: This fruit is high in nutrients and is often considered a super-food that produces glutathione that cleanses the liver off toxins.
- Apples: This is another nutrient-high food, which is a good option for pre-pregnancy detox. It is rich in pectin and has chemicals that help the digestive tract release toxins.
- Olive oil: A commonly used item in the kitchen, olive oil releases a lipid base that absorbs harmful toxins from the body. It basically takes the burden off the liver when used in moderation.
- Cruciferous vegetables: Cauliflower and broccoli that are the two most popular cruciferous vegetables that increase the amount of glucosinolate in the body. This adds to the volume of enzyme production in the liver, which lowers the risks associated with cancer.
- Cabbage: Similar to cruciferous vegetables, cabbage also releases two crucial enzymes that detoxify the liver. It also aids in the dietary function of the body.
- Walnuts: These are high in omega 3 fatty acids and glutathione that cleanses the liver. It also includes a high concentration of amino acid arginine that detoxifies ammonia.
Continue reading to know about pre-pregnancy detox methods that clean the colon
Pre-pregnancy detox for colon
The primary function of colon is to reabsorb fluids from the digested food and prepare waste to be thrown out. Thereby, preventing constipation, increasing energy and boosting fertility.
Colon cleansing also helps in clearing the skin, because clear skin is directly proportional to a clean digestive system. You can easily detox the colon by sticking to the following food products:
- Spinach: Consuming spinach and green vegetables can boost the digestive system and also cleanse the colon. Spinach is also known to protect the body from infections because of its high content of iron, vitamins and essential nutrients.
- Lemon: Citrus fruits such as lemons are rich in Vitamin C and, therefore, very good food source for cleansing the internal system of the body. It has properties of detoxification and helps not only in clearing the digestive track but also to clear the skin and add shine to the hair.
- Garlic: Properties of allicin and manganese make it the perfect ingredient to keep health problems such as high blood pressure, indigestion and common cold at bay. It also improves bone health and cleanses the colon.
- Fruit juices: With properties such as rich content of fiber, enzymes and cleansing salts, fruit juices are the perfect pre-pregnancy detox items. These properties clean the colon and improve overall health.
- Broccoli sprouts: It contains a significant amount of fiber, which is known to aid the digestive system and cleanse the colon. It is also called a ‘superstar’ veggie that has chemoprotective compounds properties and can reduce cancer risk.
- Fish: Rich in high-protein, and omega 3 fatty acids, fish are also a good dietary source of Vitamin D that clears the digestive system and cleans the colon.
- Whole grains: Adding whole grains to your daily diet can be extremely beneficial, especially if you are preparing a pre-pregnancy detox diet. Food items like roti and bread are rich in fiber, which is known to aid digestion. You must also add lentils and dals as well as kidney beans to your daily diet to experience the colon-cleansing benefits of these food items.
- Green tea: With properties of catechins, green tea is your best friend if you want to cleanse the liver as well loose weight. It breaks down the fat cells accumulated in the body and therefore, aids the colon to absorb fluids and easily release the waste matter.
Continue reading to know about pre-pregnancy detox methods that clean the uterus
Pre-pregnancy detox for the uterus
Overall uterine health is important for the process of conception. Many times the regular menstrual cycle leaves the uterus with old stagnant blood that needs cleansing. And this is a certainly not the best environment for an embryo’s growth.
Apart from old stagnant blood, other causes for cleansing the uterus are:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Low blood circulation
- Misplaced uterus
- Unhealthy diet
- Lack of exercise
In order to overcome these problems, you can consume the following uterine cleansing herbs:
- Ginger: This herb is known to reduce inflammation and increase the flow of oxygen and blood to the uterus. It is overall body detoxifier that supports liver cleansing, promotes healthy sweating and boosts circulation.
- Marigold: The flower is a uterine herb that cleanses the uterus and does not irritate the mucous membrane. Drinking marigold tea regulates menstrual bleeding and eases cramps.
- Raspberry: The red-coloured raspberry is considered a uterine tonic and is known to tone uterine muscles. Its high content of feluric acid eases menstrual flow.
Remember that once the uterus receives proper blood flow, it can function to its best and create a foetus-friendly environment in your womb. In addition to eating right, you can also try various yoga asanas that boost fertility and regular exercise regiments to improve uterine blood circulation.