This little baby was found dead in his cradle at home...
Apparently, the baby had shown some difficulties in sleeping of late, so his father had also placed a small pillow near him to make him feel comfortable
A really sad and heartbreaking news has come to our notice. A little baby in Malaysia was found dead in his cradle at home.
Baby found dead in his cradle
According to the New Straits Times, baby Faris had woken up at around 4:30 am, and his father Faizul Firdaus had put him back to sleep in the cradle after changing his diapers. Apparently, the baby had shown some difficulties in sleeping of late, so his father had also placed a small pillow near him to make him feel comfortable.
When mummy Melati Mohammad @ Ahmad came home from work at around 7:30 am, she found her 4-month-old baby lying face down in his cradle, looking pale and lifeless.
Little Faris Rayyan Qhumainy Faizul was rushed to Balik Pulau Hospital in Malaysia, but it was unfortunately too late.
Devastated mummy Melati tells New Straits Times, "Our baby might have been gasping for air before he died. My husband did not notice anything as there was no noise from our boy throughout the night."
"We just have to accept the fate that Faris is no longer with us."
The child's body has been sent for post-mortem and police are currently investigating the incident.
Our heart bleeds for this little baby, we hope his parents find the strength to deal with their loss...
Cot death or SIDS
Sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) is a condition when an apparently healthy baby dies unexpectedly, and for no clear reason. SIDS victims are babies, who appear to be perfectly healthy when their parents put them down for a nap or at bedtime, but then they never wake up.
SIDS used to be more commonly known as cot death. However, it gave the wrong impression that babies would only be affected when sleeping in a cot. SIDS can affect babies wherever they sleep.
No one knows for sure why SIDS happens. Here are some findings about SIDS or cot death:
- Most babies who die from cot death do so between the ages of 2 and 4 months. However, babies up to a year old can also succumb to cot death.
- More boys than girls die from cot death.
- SIDS is more common in winter, and tends to increase in particularly cold months.
- Premature babies, low birth weight babies, and babies exposed to cigarette smoke are more susceptible to cot death.
Protecting your child from SIDS
Here are some safety tips that can significantly reduce the risk of SIDS:
- Always put your baby to sleep on his back.
- Don't put blankets or toys in his crib. Use only blankets that are breathable and allow the baby to get fresh air. Use tight-fitting bedding on a firm crib mattress.
- It is advisable not to share your bed with your baby.
- Keep the room cool, but not too cold. Stale, warm, and stuffy air makes it difficult for a baby to breathe.
- Offer a pacifier. Allowing a baby to soothe themselves to sleep with a pacifier makes their breathing more regular and consistent. This is a good thing.
- Keep your home free of cigarette smoke and other heavy fumes and/or odour.
- Breast-feed your baby, if possible. Breast-feeding for at least six months lowers the risk of SIDS.
(Source and Image: NST)
*Republished with permission from theAsianparent Singapore