Good news! Indian Railways will now provide baby food at its major stations
Under the 'Janani Sewa' initiative, hot milk, hot water and baby food items will be made available to mums at major railway stations in the country.
There is some excellent news for new mothers. Indian Railways has started an initiative to provide baby food at all major stations in the country.
This is being done under a new initiative called 'Janani Sewa.' Under this initiative, hot milk (for Rs 10 also), hot water and baby food items will be made available to mums.
Why was it started?
This initiative was launched recently (June, 2016) by the government after a woman tweeted that she was unable to feed her baby. She mentioned that due to a delayed in the train's schedule and no availability of baby food at the station, her baby was starving.
Taking note of her tweet, Suresh Prabhu, Union Minister for Indian Railways immediately sent her baby food at the next station. This incident basically prompted him to start the 'Janani Sewa.'
Stations that will provide this service
So far, it is the South Central line has started the service.
Reportedly, hot milk, hot water and baby food items will be available at:
- 6 stations on Secunderabad Division: Secunderabad, Hyderabad, Kazipet, Warangal, Khammam and Vikarabad
- 6 stations on Hyderabad Division: Kacheguda, Kurnool, Gadwal, Mahbubnagar, Kamareddy and Nizamabad
- 8 stations on Guntur Division: Nandyal, Diguvametta, Guntur, Nalgonda, Nadikudi, Cumbum, Markapuram and Miryalaguda
- 14 stations on Vijayawada Division: Vijayawada, Gudur, Nellore, Ongole, Tenali, Eluru, Nidadavolu, Rajahmundry, Anakapalli, Gudivada, Tanuku, Bhimavaram, Tuni and Narsapur.
- 12 stations on Guntakal Division: Tirupati, Renigunta, Kadapa, Gooty, Guntakal, Adoni, Mantralayam Road, Raichur, Yadgir, Anantapur, Dharmavaram & Pakala
- 7 stations on Nanded Division: Nanded, Purna, Parbhani, Jalna, Aurangabad, Nagarsol and Mudkhed
Continue reading to know how you can buy baby food easily at stations?
Baby food now available on East Coast stations also
Only recently the East Coast line also came into action and officials have been asked to implement it in three of their major railway stations.
These include all the major stations in its three divisions of Khurda Road, Sambalpur and Visakhapatnam.
"We have started providing hot milk at important stations. The instructions were issued recently and it is expected to be made available at all important stations by the end of July," said the ECoR chief public relations officer, JP Mishra to a leading daily.
"The milk stalls of Omfed have started selling hot milk here. The prices of hot milk and water will be notified soon. Other baby foods too will be available at the stations at market prices," he added.
How can you get baby food?
The baby food will be available on all 'Jan Ahhar' shops at these said stations.
In fact, within a month these shops will be present at stations including Bhubaneswar, Puri, Sambalpur, Berhampur, Khurda Road, Cuttack and Bhadrak on the east coast.
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent!