Experts share tips on how to handle a newborn baby
Watch full video for tips from lactation consultant, Sonali Shivlani on how to help your baby latch and a lot more.
You may have prepared for parenting to your best ability. But most new parents would agree that when their baby is finally born, dealing with parenting is a different ballgame altogether. You may have read dozens of parenting books and attended expert seminars. But first time mums can feel totally unprepared despite all of this. And when bringing their baby home, the biggest question they are faced with is—how to handle a newborn baby?
Experts, Dr Barkha Chawla and Sonali Shivlani chat about this and a lot more with new mum, Meghna Pant on this first episode of Nine Months Season 2. Take a look.
Dr Barkha Chawla shares a quick checklist with Meghna Pant and explains what should new parents do when bringing their baby home from the hospital.
- Get your home ready with baby essentials.
- Get adequate help for yourself.
- Choose your paediatrician beforehand.
- Keep a check on various benchmarks that confirm your baby’s good health.
Lactation consultant, Sonali Shivlani shares that nowadays breastfeeding is looked at as a process that needs to be taught. But in olden days, it seemed like a completely natural phenomenon. She explains how breastfeeding can be made an easy experience for new mums.
- New mums should trust their own instinct.
- Your baby’s first feed can be anytime within the first 60 to 90 minutes after birth.
- Capacity of your baby’s stomach is just 3 to 5 ml.
- Regurgitation is normal when breastfeeding the baby.
Some new-mum-questions that this episode answers for you are:
- What baby essentials will you need when you bring your baby back home?
- When choosing a paediatrician for your baby, what should you keep in mind?
- What are the benchmarks of your baby’s good health?
- What should you know about your baby’s first feeding?
- How to help your baby latch on for breastfeeding?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of co-sleeping or putting the baby to sleep separately?
- How to burp your baby?
- How can you deal with a colicky baby?
- What is the difference between a vomit and a reflux throw up when breastfeeding?
Mums, there you have it all from the experts on the first episode of Nine Months Season 2. Remember, there’s no right way or wrong way, but just your way. And it’s important that you trust it.
Nine Months Season 2 is India’s first comprehensive show on parenting and pregnancy.