These 5 home remedies from your kitchen would relieve your child's constipation in minutes!
There are a number of remedies in your kitchen alone that can help you deal with your child’s constipation and ensure that he has a smooth bowel movement every day.
As I mother I can say that constipation can be an annoying problem in kids, especially toddlers. While it might be a trivial issue for some, it can be a really painful problem to deal with for mothers. Chronic constipation can also result in encopresis, a medical condition in which the child resists having bowel movements due to pain or any other reason.
In fact, doctors say that constipation is no longer an old age problem but afflicts up to 40 percent of school-going children.
"In any school, nearly 40 percent of children suffer from constipation, and the primary reason is lifestyle," said Dr Nishant Wadhwa, pediatric gastroenterologist at Ganga Ram Hospital while speaking to the Times of India. He also said children eat too much processed and carbohydrate-rich food and don't drink enough water.
An ongoing study at the hospital showed that 30-40 percent of child patients in the outpatient department have recur ring bouts of abdominal pain due to constipation, up from 10-20 percent a decade ago.
The reason for constipation in kids are many, says Dr Wadhwa, such as a lack of fibre and water from the diets. Delayed toilet training can also be a cause as children do not develop the habit of passiing stool daily.
Home remedies for constipation
But, there’s no need to panic as there are a number of remedies in your kitchen alone that can help your deal with your child’s constipation and ensure that he has a smooth bowel movement every day. Here are the most effective ones:
- Sugar water solution: This is a tried and tested remedy, which has been even mentioned in Dr Spock’s book of baby and childcare. All you need to do is mix a teaspoon of sugar to half a glass of warm water and give it your baby thrice a day after his meals of throughout the day. Water and sugar are killer combos which come handy in softening the stools and relieving your child's constipation.
- Dal: Increasing the fluid intake of your child would also help in softening the stools and ensuring a smooth bowel movement every morning and what’s better than giving your child the fibre-rich dals that we eat almost every day. For a constipated baby soupy mung dal soup is an excellent remedy and one that also works really fast.
- Bananas: Besides being loaded with vitamins and minerals, bananas are packed with fiber particularly pectin, which is essential for a smooth digestion and bowel movement.
- Apple Juice: This is another home remedy that works like magic when treating constipation in kids. This is because apple juice contains a naturally occurring fibre which bulks up the stools. They are also loaded with sorbitol a naturally occurring sugar alcohol which acts as a natural laxative and helps soften the stools
- Coconut water: Coconut water is an excellent digestive aid, helps in removing toxins from the body and also improves bowel function. Read more about the amazing health benefits of coconut water here.
What do you think of this article? Do share with us by posting comments below!