How to make vegetable dal khichdi for six-month-old baby
This recipe of vegetable and dal khichdi is one that is not only tasty but also contains the goodness of vegetables
Introducing your six-month-old to solid foods can be quite a tedious task, especially because babies are quite expressive of what foods they like and what they don't. However, there are ways in which you can not only add nutrition but also taste to your regular Indian recipes. This recipe of vegetable and dal khichdi is one that is not only tasty but also contains the goodness of vegetables.
Vegetable and dal khichdi for six-month-old baby
Dal Khichdi for one need not be made in a way that it is bland and tasteless. You can add a lot of vegetables and other things to make it tasty and nutritious. Khichdi is a complete meal in itself providing plenty of energy, protein and folic acid to your baby.
The addition of carrots and other vegetables such as beans makes it rich in vitamin and fibre as well. This recipe is a good way of introducing a mildly spiced meal to your baby's diet. Here's what you need:
- 1/2 tsp peeled and grated carrots
- 1/2 tsp peeled and grated lauki/dhoodhi/ghiya
- 2 tbsp green moong dal, washed and soaked
- 2 tbsp rice, washed and soaked
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of asafetida
- salt, to taste
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- You can also add green peas, beans and other vegetables of your choice
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds to it. When they splutter add the vegetables like dhoodhi, carrots and peas and fry for a minute.
- Now, add the rice and dal and roast for another minute till you can smell the aroma.
- Add turmeric, salt and add just enough water to give the khichdi the right consistency.
- Pressure cook for three whistles and mash it when cool.
- Serve your baby for lunch or whenever he feels hungry.
If you have any insights or comments about the video, please share them in our Comment box below.