Cost of IVF treatment in India and laws you must know about
Professional infertility treatment facilities and the low cost of IVF treatment in India are attracting many infertile couples across the globe. Here's why.
The IVF industry in India is flourishing with skilled professional expertise. That’s essentially because of the reasonable cost of IVF treatment in India. This in turn has effectively made India a forerunner in the world of medical tourism, especially with respect to infertility treatments for men and women.
In fact, the past 20 years have witnessed an enormous growth in the field of infertility treatments in India. With services such as artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization (IVF), gamete intra fallopian transfer (GIFT), intra cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), surrogacy and donor egg treatment, the Indian fertility industry is growing exponentially.
“About 40 percent cases of infertility are due to problems with the woman’s reproductive system,” explains IVF and infertility specialist Dr. Kaberi Banerjee to theIndusparent. “About 15 percent of cases of infertility are due to males. And about 30 percent of cases of infertility are due to problems in both the man and the woman. The rest of the 15 percent of cases are due to unexplained causes.”
According to Dr. Banerjee, who is also the clinical director at Advance Fertility & Gynecological Centre in Delhi, these numbers have increased the need for IVF treatments in the country. While an average IVF cycle would cost around $10,000, in India it can cost anything between $3,000 and $4,000.
Why come to India for IVF treatment?
Each year, couples who are facing infertility issues from across the globe flock to various fertility centres in India. The best ones are concentrated in large parts of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai and Lucknow, among others.
The following factors make India the best place for infertility treatments:
- Low-cost infertility treatments as compared to Western countries
- Availability of cutting-edge treatment technology
- Skilled English-speaking personnel to officiate infertility treatment
- Easy transition of patients coming for medical tourism in the country
Today, around 15 percent of the Indian population, both male and female, are infertile. “We see an average of 100 to 150 cases per month of infertile patients. Statistics show the percentage of male infertility has risen to 60 percent as opposed to 40 percent prevalent in 1980s,” says Dr. Banerjee.
Continue to read more about the cost of IVF treatment in India
Cost of IVF treatment in India
Since this treatment requires the patient to attend several sessions with the doctor and sometimes admit themselves for thorough check-ups, the cost could vary based upon the treatments.
Therefore, while one basic IVF session could cost anything between Rs 1 lakh and Rs 1.5 lakh, it could go up to Rs 4.5 lakh depending on the patient’s cycle and specified treatment.
Dr. Banerjee lists the following treatments with their respective cost:
- For relatively simple Intra Uterine Insemination treatments, the cost is between Rs 10,000 and Rs 15,000 depending on the patient’s drug requirements, among other needs.
- For slightly higher-level treatments including In Vitro Fertilization or Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection, the cost ranges between Rs 1.5 lakh and Rs 1.7 lakh.
- Oocytes of poor quality will lead to poor quality embryos, which may then fail to implant. In such cases, donor oocytes are used and the cost of IVF may increase up to Rs 2 lakh approximately.
- Surrogacy is an option for women who’ve had their uterus removed before menopause due to cancer, repeated IVF failures, repeated implantation failures or chromosomal variation in reproductive organs (streak ovaries). Surrogacy is a form of third-party reproduction and will cost anywhere between Rs 8 lakh and Rs 12 lakh.
Today, around 15 per cent of the Indian population, both male and female, are infertile. Dr Banerji notes, “We see an average of 100 to 150 cases per month of infertile patients. Statistics show the percentage of male infertility has risen to 60 percent as opposed to 40 percent prevalent in 1980s.”
Continue to read more about the legalities of IVF treatment and the various fertility clinics in India
Legalities that define the cost of IVF treatment in India
Infertility clinics in India are able to provide requisite technology and personal care at a much lower rate than those provided outside the country. However, all these treatments come under the legal gamete of the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
These legalities can sometimes be quite complex, but they will help you identify the best IVF clinics. According to ICMR, legitimate fertility clinics must fulfill the following criteria:
- Registration for all fertility clinics dealing with infertility treatments and involved in the use and creation of embryos outside of the body
- A code of practice to identify the qualification of the personnel
- Couple’s written consent; otherwise no treatment can take place
- Patients must be given counseling and information about the treatment before and during the process
- Human embryo cannot be placed in a non-human body and all research projects must be approved by the Institutional Ethics Committee
Fertility clinics that offer low cost IVF treatmemt in India
There are many fertility clinics that provide state-of-the-art facility to patients. Here’s a list of the 10 most popular clinics across the country:
- Max Healthcare, maxhealthcare.in
- Advanced Fertility and Gyneacology Centre, Delhi, ivf-services.com
- Infertility India, Delhi, Mumbai, infertilityindia.in
- Bloom IVF Clinic, Mumbai, bloomivf.com
- BLK Hospital, Delhi, blkhospital.com
- Indira Infertility and IVF Centre, Udaipur, indiraivf.com
- Apollo Hospital Centres, Hyderabad, Mumbai, Chennai, apollohospitals.com
- Pulse Woman’s Hospital, Ahmedabad, pulse-hospital.com
- Hiranandani Hospital, Mumbai, hiranandanihospital.org
- Shivani Fertility & Mother Care, Jaipur, www.doctorsinjaipur.com
Once you have selected an infertility clinic based on proximity and research, you must consult with the doctor about your problem and understand the process before you actually decide to go ahead. This will help you make an informed decision.
Do let us know your thoughts on the cost of IVF treatment in India. Please share your thoughts in the Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com