#Justin: Coconut milk is the next best thing to breastmilk, says expert
A US-based nutritionist has found coconut milk to be the next best thing to breast milk. Here's why you must consider it too
Although there is nothing as healthy as breastmilk for a newborn, there are chances that you maybe unable to feed your baby. If that were the case then feeding them coconut milk would be the next best option, says a study by US-based nutritionist Dr Jose Axe.
He claims coconut milk to be the next best thing to breast milk.
In fact, in countries like Sri Lanka, Thailand and Vietnam, where babies are unable to get breastmilk, they are often given coconut milk as a substitute.
Why is the next best option?
Breastmilk contains lactose, which is a type of sugar that is difficult for many people to digest. However, coconut milk contains no lactose, thereby making it digestible and easy to break down.
Coconut milk has several benefits that make it the best substitute of breastmilk.
Health benefits of coconut milk
Coconut milk is often called the ‘miracle liquid’ given its nutritional value and its ability to build the body’s immune system. It is the liquid naturally found inside a ripe coconut. Along with its relatives- coconut water and coconut oil, it constitutes the world’s healthiest drinks.
- Easy to absorb: Apart from providing nutrients, it contains beneficial fat called lauric acid. It is a medium-chain fatty acid that is easily absorbed and used by the body for energy.
- Lowers blood pressure and cholesterol: Coconut milk is also known to improve heart health and keeps blood vessels flexible, elastic and free from plaque buildup.
- Helps lose fat and improves muscle strength: Coconut milk is high in healthy fats and contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCT) fatty acids, which increase energy levels in the body and help enhance physical performance. It also includes electrolytes like magnesium and potassium that repair broken down tissues.
- Prevents fatigue and provides electrolytes: While coconut water is a good source of electrolytes, coconut milk provides important minerals needed to maintain blood volume, prevent dehydration or diarrhea and regulate heart health.
- Relieves constipation and improves digestion: Coconut milk keeps the digestive tract hydrated, thereby enabling a smooth and healthy digestive system. It nourishes the digestive lining and improves gut health.
The fact that it has been proved to be the best substitute to breastmilk has prompted the Coconut Development Board (CDB), India, to promote it as a health drink and a cooking ingredient.
(Image courtesy: draxe.com)
If you have any insights or comments about the article, please share them in our Comment box below.