Yuni gave her tiny daughters two small spoons of banana – and tragically, the following morning she discovered that the eldest of her twins had passed away.
The distraught parents took the newborn girl to a nearby clinic in Jakarta, who contacted the local police and the 27-year-old mum was taken in for questioning.
Police determined there doesn’t appear to be any signs of foul play in the baby’s death.
Killed by a banana? “Maybe it was her fate?”
Yuni told police that she was unaware babies younger than four to six months old are not supposed to be given solid foods as their digestive system is still underdeveloped.
“Her twin is alright, but the elder sister choked, maybe it was her fate?” the mother said.
“It began around 8 pm, the victim’s mother attempted to give banana as weaning food using a spoon before she was going to be put [the twins] to bed,” police spokesperson Erick Sitepu said.
“I only gave them two baby spoons each”
“I only gave them two baby spoons each, it is not like I force-fed them the whole banana,” Yuni said.
During the autopsy, a banana slice was reportedly found in the baby’s respiratory tract.
Even though death by negligence is a criminal offence in Indonesia, the police are currently viewing the baby’s death as purely accidental.