How to care for your infant?
Watch full video for tips from Dr Nihar Parikh on travelling with your baby in the age group of three to six months.
The age of three to six months is one of the most crucial baby development stages after birth. As your little one steps into infanthood, your parenting journey gets more exciting. While you may be still struggling with sleep deprivation, the joys of witnessing your baby’s attics can be a wonderful experience for any new parents.
In this episode of Nine Months Season 2, Meghna Pant is in conversation with paediatrician Dr Nihar Parikh and child dietician, Bina Chheda about the baby development stages after birth. The experts guide new mums about caring for their babies in the age of three to six months. Take a look.
Baby development stages after birth: Dr Nihar Parikh talks about the important milestones
As Dr Parikh points out, the age of three and six months is one of the important baby development stages after birth. Lots of changes take place in this phase. The cognitive, developmental, behavioural and physical milestones are crucial in this period. Here are some of the milestones that your baby can achieve in this age.
- Your baby learns to maintain an eye-contact by the time they turn three months old. So, between the third and sixth month of age, they learn to follow the faces around them with their eyes. While they cannot identify these faces as yet, they mostly like the presence of them.
- When your baby turn three months old, they are likely to raise their heads. But as they grow further, by the sixth month, they are already turning on their backs or at least making efforts to turn.
- At the age of three months, your little one may love grasping and holding things. Then by the time they are six months old, they understand the coordination ability, that is, they can pass things from one hand to the other.
- Your little one will also start smiling, giggling and babbling by the time they are six months old. So, from smiling in sleep to smiling at things, is surely a delightful transition that new parents can witness.
Baby development stages after birth: Child dietician, Bina Chheda helps in decoding your baby’s poop
The baby development stages after birth also include a healthy pooping pattern among babies. But one of the most tough things for new parents is understanding if the baby’s poop pattern is healthy. Bina Chheda shares important tips about how to master this skill and get help for your baby at the right time.
- Yellowish-green is the natural colour of your baby’s poop.
- Some signs of your baby’s healthy growth are normal feeding, weight gain and an overall healthy look on their face. So, if your baby’s smiling and stays happy, know that they are healthy too.
- If your baby is passing hard or frequent stools, then you should consult your doctor.
Her most important advise to new parents is to just be calm in these situations. So mum, if there’s any irregularity in your baby’s pooping pattern, just take a deep breath, avoid panic and consult your paediatrician.
Watch the full episode to know more about baby development stages after birth
Some other new-mum questions that this episode answers for you are:
- How to choose baby products like oil for your little one?
- Why is it important to moisturise your baby?
- How a mum’s touch can help your baby’s brain development?
- How to maintain your baby’s oral hygiene?
- What do the doctors recommend about diaper changes and diaper area care?
- What do the experts advise on travelling with a baby?
- When can you start introducing the solids and semi-solids to your little one?
Mums, there you have it all from the experts on Nine Months Season 2. Remember, there’s no right way or wrong way, but just your way. And it’s important that you trust it.
Nine Months Season 2 is India’s first comprehensive show on parenting and pregnancy.