Another six-year-old girl raped, this time in a posh South Delhi school's toilet
Our kids are safe nowhere!
In another horrible case, a six-year-old girl was raped by a school housekeeping staff in a posh private school in New Delhi's South Delhi area.
The girl studies in class 1 of the school and was in the school's washroom at the time of the incident, which occurred on Wednesday afternoon. The school is located in the Malviya Nagar area.
On reaching home at about 2:30 pm the girl told her mother about the incident and the parents then approached the school principal and told her what had happened. There were rashes on her private parts and was in pain, according to the mother. The principal then informed the police.
Upon investigating, the police arrested a housekeeping staff who had joined the school just three months back. The parents also mentioned that what was surprising that there was no lady attendant at the time the child used the washroom.
School headmistress Sushma Manchanda said that while every washroom in the school has a female attendant, the one lady helper at that time had gone out to drink water.
“It was unfortunate that when the girl entered the washroom, the female attendant was not available, as she had gone to drink water. In the meantime, the man went inside,” Manchanda told The Indian Express.
“She had been sent downstairs for some work. After using the washroom, my daughter called the woman for help but the male employee entered and assaulted her sexually. My daughter shouted and rushed to her class,” the girl's father told The Hindustan Times.
The child was later taken to the All India Medical Institute where rape was confirmed by the doctors. The doctors also told the parents that due to internal injury the girl might have to undergo surgery.
“We are in shock and have nothing to say. We send our kids to get educated and not to be victims of such perverts loitering around in the schools,” an angry father told the media.
Some reports also say that the school had not verified the male staff before hiring him. A case has been registered under POSCO (The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act) against the man.
The Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO Act) 2012 was formulated in order to effectively address sexual abuse and sexual exploitation of children. Here are some points that it covers as mentioned in a previous article:
1. The act covers a child as any person under the age of 18. It defines different forms of sexual abuse, including penetrative and non-penetrative assault, as well as sexual harassment and pornography.
2. It covers various forms of sexual abuse such as penetrative and non-penetrative assault, as well as sexual harassment and pornography.
3. It deems a sexual assault to be “aggravated” under certain circumstances, such as when the abused child is mentally ill or when the crime is committed by a family member, police officer, teacher, or doctor.
4. The Act also defines the role of the police as child protectors, which means that the officials investigating a sexual abuse case of the child are responsible for making urgent arrangements for the care and protection of the child.
5. The Act provides that the special courts must conduct the trial in-camera and without revealing the identity of the child, in a manner that is as child-friendly as possible.
6. Above all, the Act stipulates that a case of child sexual abuse must be disposed of within one year from the date the offence is reported.