9 yummy sandwich recipes for your little ones
These sandwiches are tasty, healthy and quick to prepare! Win your kids' hearts with these super recipes!
A lot happens between two slices of bread. Sandwiches are a great lunchbox hit with kids, if they're made right. We have listed down some quick and tasty sandwich recipes for your kids and have also provided tips to pack them attractively. You can't go wrong with these!
Carrot and peas sandwich
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup green peas, boiled and coarsely mashed
- 4 whole wheat bread slices, toasted
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/4 tsp green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp grated paneer
- 2 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp grated cheese
- Heat oil in a broad non-stick pan and add cumin seeds.
- When the seeds sputter, add the green chillies, carrots and green peas and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the paneer, coriander and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add the cheese, mix well and allow it to cool slightly.
- Divide the filling into 2 equal portions.
- Place a whole wheat bread slice on a dry, flat surface and spread a portion of the prepared filling and sandwich it with another whole wheat bread slice.
Tip: This recipe tastes as good with plain bread.
Recipe inspired from: TarlaDalal
Click on Continue Reading for a spinach and paneer sandwich recipe
Grilled spinach and cottage cheese sandwich
- 4 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 8-9 spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup paneer
- 2 tbsp cream cheese (flavoured also will work)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- butter for toasting
- Toast the bread slices in a toaster or an oven with butter.
- Add the spinach, cream cheese, paneer, salt and black pepper into a food processor and pulse to make a coarse mixture. Check the salt and spice levels and adjust to suit your taste.
- Lay the bread slices on a flat surface. Spread the spinach and paneer mixture over one of the slices. Place the sliced cucumbers on the top and cover with the other toasted bread to make the sandwich.
- Proceed to make the other sandwich the similar way.
Tip: You could add boiled corn to the mixture before you assemble the sandwich.
Recipe inspired from: Archana'skitchen
Click on Continue Reading for an exciting recipe that talks about mushroom and mozzarella
Mozzarella mushroom sandwich
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2-3 cabbage leaves, shredded
- 4 hamburger buns, split or bread slices
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
1. Wash and clean the mushrooms. Brush the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat olive oil in a pan and cook mushrooms and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
3. Spread the mayonnaise and pizza sauce on the bread slices.
4. Place cooked mushroom on the bread slices.
5. Add shredded mozzarella cheese and cabbage leaves. Sprinkle Italian seasoning and cover with bread slice.
Tip: Serve this oh-so delicious sandwich with tomato sauce or a cheesy dip.
Recipe inspired from: Mushroom Mozarella
Click on Continue Reading for a chickpea burger recipe
Vegetarian chickpea burger
- 6 burger buns, halved or 6 bread slices
- honey mustard sauce
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- A few lettuce leaves
Ingredients for the chickpea patties
- 1 cup chickpeas, soaked for 8 hours and then cooked until soft
- 2 large potatoes, boiled
- An inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- Few sprigs of mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala powder
- 3 tbsp gram flour
- Juice from one lemon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
- Pressure cook the chickpeas until soft and the potatoes until boiled. Drain the excess water from the chickpeas. Peel and cube the potatoes.
- Add all the ingredients including the cooked chickpeas and potatoes into the food processor and blend until it forms a dough like consistency. You don't have to grind to make a smooth mixture, just blend so all the ingredients come together.
- Transfer the blended chickpea patty ingredients into a large bowl. Check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
- Divide the patty mixture into 6 equal portions and shape them into balls. Lightly flatten them with your fingers and keep them aside.
- Preheat a skillet on medium heat and grease it with some oil.
- Place the chickpea patties on the greased skillet, drizzle some oil and cook them until well browned and crisp on both sides.
- Cut the burger buns into half. You can optionally toast the buns or the bread slices on the skillet with a little butter or serve them as it is.
- Place the cut buns on a flat surface. Place the lettuce leaves on the bottom half of the bun, then top it with tomatoes, cucumber, onions, the cooked chickpea patty and a drizzle of honey mustard sauce. Place the other half the bun over and serve.
Tip: We're sure this recipe will be a hit even in your kid's parties. You can add an onion ring to the burger, if you love them.
Recipe source: Archana'skitchen
Ever had a sandwich with yogurt? Click on Continue Reading for a recipe
- 4 slices of firm bread
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp minced green chilli (optional)
- 1/8 tsp mustard seeds (rai), for seasoning
- 2 tbsp soft butter
- Put yogurt in a strainer lined with muslin or cheese cloth. Gently squeeze out the excess water. Make sure not to squeeze out the yogurt though. Leave it for at least 4 hours or more. Before removing yogurt from the muslin cloth, give one last squeeze.
- Add all the ingredients for the filling with yogurt and mix it well.
- Spread the mix over two slices of bread and cover them with the other slice.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat; grease the skillet with about half teaspoon of butter.
- Sprinkle the skillet with mustard seeds and as they crack, place the sandwich over, and brush the butter on top of the slice. Grill the sandwich from both sides until they are golden brown.
Tip: Make sure all the water is squeezed out from the yogurt, else the breads may become soggy. You could add the flavour of crushed garlic or mint to the yogurt to enhance its flavour.
Recipe inspired from: Manjulas kitchen
Click on Continue Reading for egg bhurji sandwich
Egg bhurji sandwich
- 2 to 3 eggs
- 4 slices bread (edges trimmed)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- ⅛ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- a generous pinch of garam masala powder
- a pinch of turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- Few onion slices
- Grated carrots or beets (as needed)
- Cabbage or lettuce (as needed)
- Coriander or mint leaves (few)
- Heat a non stick pan and toast the bread. Set them aside when crusty.
- Add oil to the same pan, add cumin. Once they splutter, add grated ginger and green chilies. Fry till the ginger smells good.
- Add eggs to the tawa and scramble gently. Allow the eggs to cook on a medium flame to keep them soft.
- Add salt, chilli powder and garam masala powder. You can added the finely chopped veggies if required, at this point. Mix well.
- Transfer the egg bhurji to the bread.
- Place another slice of bread on top to cover the filling. Or go creative as shown above.
Recipe inspired from: IndianHealthyRecipes
Click on Continue Reading for a simple recipe involving tomatoes and mayo
Tomato mayo sandwich
- 2 slices dense wholegrain bread
- 1 medium tomato, perfectly ripe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Salt to taste and coarsely ground black pepper
- Toast the bread to your liking in a toaster or skillet.
- Cut the tomato into 1/8-inch slices. Apply one side of each piece of toast with about a teaspoon and a half of mayonnaise and layer as many of the tomato slices as you can on top of one one piece of toast.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Top with the other piece of toast and cut the sandwich in half.
Tip: Add a few lettuce leaves for a crunch. Pack this sandwich with plenty of tissues as the juice from the tomato and the mayo may drip when you dig in. Slightly old white bread is the best for this type of a sandwich.
Recipe inspired from: food52
Click on Continue Reading for a potatoes in a sandwich
Masala potato sandwich
- 2 medium size potatoes, boiled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 6 Whole wheat Or white bread Slices
- Butter to spread
- Peel the boiled potatoes and mash them well and keep aside.
- Take a non-stick pan and heat 2 tbsp of oil in it. Add in mustard seeds, curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
- Now add chopped garlic to the pan and fry for another 2 to 3 seconds, till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
- Add the chopped onion and fry till the onion becomes soft. Add the mashed potato to the pan. Mix the mashed potato with the masala and roast for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato ketchup to the potato mixture and mix well with the mixture. Adjust the salt to your taste. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down.
- When the mixture is completely cooled down, add the chopped cilantro and mix with the potato mixture.
- Apply some butter on each bread slice. Put 3 to 4 tablespoons of potato mixture on one side of the bread, and place another buttered slice on the potato mixture. Toast the sandwich.
Recipe inspired from: Peekncook
Click on Continue Reading for a sandwich recipe you need to know!
Green chutney sandwich
- 6 slices of Sandwich bread, toasted
- Butter to spread
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- A fistful of mint leaves
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of sugar
1. Combine the cilantro, mint leaves, green chillies, cumin seeds, salt, sugar and lemon juice in a blender/mixie.
2. Make a smooth paste without adding water.
3. Take 2 slices of bread and trim the edges.
4. Apply butter on one side of both the bread slices.
5. Spread a generous amount of green chutney on top of the butter.
6. Put a cheese slice and another piece of bread on top to finish the sandwich.
Tip: If you want an extra zing, add a clove of garlic to the chutney before you grind.
Image source: Youtube
Want to know what your kids will like? Click on Continue Reading
Tips to make your sandwiches look kid-friendly
Make your sandwich look inviting! Kids love creativity in their food. Pressed for time? Food art need not be complicated. Try our simple sandwich decoration ideas that are fast to finish, yet look appealing.
Cutting out simple shapes from the bread slices are an easy way to increase the sandwich cute quotient. Use your cookie cutters for this.
Use everyday veggies like olives, peas, carrots, tomatoes etc. to make simple faces on your sandwiches.
Cut the edges of the bread and flatten them with a rolling pin. Place a small quantity of your favourite filling towards a side and roll into little tight bundles. Tie these rolls with colourful strings and pack them in your child's tiffin.
If you wish to add something to our list of sandwich recipes, please share in the Comment box below.