5 exciting new ways to make broccoli-based snacks for kids!
Using vegetables in their snacks may be tricky but, with a little creativity, you can teach your kids to love Broccoli
This takes only about thirty-five minutes to prepare!
16oz Frozen Broccoli
1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degress. Line a baking tray with a parchment sheet.
2. Steam broccoli using a steamer until tender.
3. Use a food processor (with an "s" blade) to process the cooked broccoli (if you don't have one, you can use a potato masher or a hand chopper).
4. Mix broccoli with bread crumbs, cheese, and eggs in a large bowl.
5. Pour the mixture into parchment-lined baking tray.
6. Shape into a large rectangle (about 8" x 12")
7. Using a rubber spatula, cut into 8 sticks (1-1/2" x 8") and then cut those 8 in half to create 16 sticks (1-1/2" x 4")
8. Bake for 15 minutes and turn over.
9. Bake for another 15 OR if you want them crispier, bake an additional 5 minutes at a time until the desired crispness.
10. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate or freeze for later.
Serves 6 to 8 people!
recipe from: Yummly.com
Next page: Broccoli Hummus
This only takes 20 minutes to prepare!
1- 15 ounce can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained (set the liquid aside) or 1½ cups chickpeas
1 teaspoon lemon zest
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons tahini
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
2½ cups of broccoli, cut small
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Place broccoli on a large sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss.
3. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until the broccoli is tender and brown. Let it cool.
4. Mix broccoli with the rest of the ingredients using a food processor.
5. Add in the chickpea liquid set aside earlier as the food processor runs until desired consistency is achieved.
This is best enjoyed with crackers or vegetable sticks!
recipe from: She Likes Food
Next page: Broccoli Pizza
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon basil or rosemary, minced (or dry)
½ teaspoon oregano, minced (or dry)
1 small to medium sized head of cauliflower
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup marinara sauce
1-2 cups mozzarella cheese
1 cup diced bell peppers (orange, yellow, red, and/or green)
½ cup broccoli florets
½ cup diced red onion
½ cup tomatoes, diced
1. Preheat your oven to 500 degrees F
2. Cut the cauliflower into chunks, making sure to remove the stems.
3. Place the cauliflower into a food processor until it achieves a rice-like texture. (If you don't have a food processor, you can use a cheese grater or chop it finely.)
4. Place the processed mix into a microwave, uncovered for about 4 to 5 minutes with the setting turned up to high.
5. Allow it to cool for five minutes.
6. Once cooled, place in a kitchen towel and squeeze out all of the liquid.
7. Stir in the cooked cauliflower, egg, garlic, cheese, with seasonings until it reaches a dough texture.
8. Spread the cauliflower mixture out onto lightly greased parchment paper or a pizza pan in the shape of a pizza crust.
9. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the pizza crust is crispy and golden brown.
10. Once baked, remove from oven and top with pizza sauce. Place the cheese and the chopped veggie toppings!
11. Once you're happy with your toppings, pop it right back in the oven for another 12 to 15 minutes!
Good for 4 to 6 people!
recipe from: gimmedelicious.com
Next page: Broccoli Potato Burgers
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp lemon juice
1 broccoli spear
¼ cup red, green, and yellow peppers
2 tbsp yellow onion, chopped
1. Remove broccoli florets from spear
2. Cut potato into small pieces and mix in with the broccoli florets
3. Cook potato and broccoli florets in a pot of water until soft
4. Once done, drain and place into a food processor.
5. Add the peppers and onions as the processor runs.
6. Then, add breadcrumbs and lemon juice.
7. Once ready, form the mixture into balls then flatten like burger patties on a baking sheet.
8. Harden them by leaving inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
9. Then, heat olive oil in a pan to cook burger patties, flipping until both sides are cooked and golden brown.
Makes about 4 to 6 burgers!
Next page: Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (10 oz) cream of chicken soup
2 to 3 cups chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
¾ cup rice
1. In a large pan, heat olive oil.
2. Sauté the onion and chopped garlic with the cubed chicken.
3. Cook over medium heat until chicken is slightly brown.
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Add 2 cups of chicken broth to the rice and cream of chicken soup.(Add more if needed)
6. Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until rice is fully cooked.
7. Add the broccoli florets and half of the cheese and continue cooking for another two minutes, making sure to allow the broccoli to soften a bit.
8. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place the pan under a broiler for a couple of minutes, until you see it melting and starting to brown.
This serves 6 people! Enjoy!
If you have any insights, questions or comments regarding the article, please share them in our Comment box below. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Google+ and Twitter to stay up-to-date on the latest from theIndusparent.com