3-month-old dies in a bouncer. Shocking!
Little Leia-Mae Smith died while left sleeping for a prolonged time in the bouncer! Find out what safety precautions you cannot afford to overlook
A mother from Gloucester, UK, woke one morning to find her three-month-old daughter dead after she was left sleeping on a bouncer for a long time that night.
According to a report by HNGN, little Leia-Mae Smith was made to sleep in a bouncer while her exhausted mother and an older sibling slept on a nearby couch. At 4:30 a.m., the mother Ms. Jones, woke to find her daughter not breathing.
Essential Baby reported Ms. Jones’ heart-breaking court statements.
“I woke up at around 4.30 a.m. and saw that Leia-Mai was not breathing and her lips had turned blue,” she said.
“I took her out of the swing, gave mouth-to-mouth resuscitation and dialled 999. When the paramedics arrived I pleaded with them to get my baby to breathe.”
“It all seemed so unreal, like a bad dream, and I thought I would suddenly wake up and it would all be okay. I love my children dearly and live every day with this pain. She may just have been a baby but she was my baby.”
According to the Inquisitr, the actual cause of this tragic death could not be determined. However, court records show that the death of the baby occurred when she had been left unsupervised to sleep in a bouncinette, a serious baby safety lapse.
Essential Baby also further reported that a label on the baby bouncer Leia-Mai was in, warned that children should not be left in it unattended.
Bouncers, rockers and car seats are great modern baby equipments to make parenting a little easier. But do we ever pay heed to the baby safety instructions they come with?
Click on Next to know what baby equipment safety precautions a parent must never ignore
Safety guidelines for baby equipment
- Always read the warning instructions the baby equipment comes with.
- Do not keep a rocker or a bouncer on a soft or elevated surface, where it may tip over.
- Do not leave the baby unattended in any baby equipment or allow him to sleep on it for prolonged periods of time.
- HealthyChildren states that infants and toddlers must always be placed in a rear-facing car seat, if used.
- Harnesses, wherever provided must be utilised for the safety of the baby.
- Always check the product before you start using it for your baby
- Follow the manufacturer’s recommended weight and age limits for any piece of baby equipment.
It is better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the safety of our children. As parents, let us act responsibly and leave no stone unturned to ensure our kids’ well-being.
If you wish to add something to our story on baby safety, please share in the Comment box below.